1.18.2007

the gravis bag

many montreal folk will remember my gravis bag. it was perfect in winter because i could fit my lunch, book, discman, wallet, keys, chapstick, hand lotion, bandaids, kleenex, journal...and any other manner of sins i needed for the day in one place.

*and* no matter how much snow or freezing rain the sky chucked down everything in there remained bone dry.

somewhere across the atlantic ocean, i lost sight of how useful this bag truly was and started becoming slowly obsessed with the handbag revolution. i think there is just too much importance placed on this accessory. i was forever traipsing around a tesco plastic bag with my lunch or dropping papers for work on the bus as i struggled to sit down juggling all my junk that wouldn't fit in my impractical, yet stylish, purse.

but now i'm back to the gravis bag. everything in one place and protected from the elements. it even frees up my hands so they can go in pockets, carry shopping, or hold the ever dreaded umbrella.

2 comments:

j9 said...

hun. what is this gravis bag you speak of? I don't believe I ever met it. All I remember is: Lauren's "purses".

I feel the same about my Roots purse. Holds no end of items, including a Vogue magazine of need be (although not the September issue). Made in Canada!

lauren said...

in the university days, you definitely would have seen this number. black, over the shoulder, fit everything including the kitchen sink...needed it for all my school books.

it was never around in the summer as i usually felt liberated enough to switch to something i little swankier.

but yes, i do love a roots purse.