5.24.2006

the book of stuart

many moons ago whilst at the cottage on a sunday afternoon, i was introduced by my dad and stepmum christine to the delights of stuart mclean. just the name conjures all sorts of nostalgia in my voice now that my sundays no longer really have that special something...its just been missing since i moved to the uk.

but from that one sunday stuart brought me and so many people together. i went to my first stuart show with elaine a few years ago at christmas. there are some moments that bond people together for life and the end of that show was one of them. if i hadn't gone to that show, i probably wouldn't have met erik, tim or michelle. i'd been riding the bus with erik (and tim!) for months, but it took sitting next to them in the *front row* of a stuart mclean christmas show to get us talking. i'll know that family forever too.

there's just something about stuart...

so a few months ago when i found out stuart was to embark on a uk tour, i became quite determined to see him (and i will next week in london!) but also encouraged my friends down in cov to go see him at the warwick arts centre. dipak, abby, ruby, dan and peter (the housemates aka the canley crew) went to see him read up close and personal last night.

when i got the report las night - i couldn't wait to hear what they thought - they all were a bit apprehensive at first because they didn't know what to expect, but apparently it was the raccoon story that swayed them. then dipak told me that he spoke to stuart afterwards about all the canadianna headed our way this week with martha wainwright, hawksley workman, and my own stuart reading in london. you'd think i was trying to brainwash people.

there's a signed copy of the vinyl cafe unplugged waiting for me when i arrive in cov on friday evening and i couldn't ask for a better birthday present. it will kind of be like holding all that i love about home and canada in my hands.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought there was something about Mary...

dlm said...

It was amazing. A forgotton concept in entertainment.

When all the questions were being floated around in between the stories/extracts, there was a very common theme. It was about the show and the characters bringing people/families together and developing *imaginations* in his listeners (thats why he'll never allow them to create a movie or tv show/sitcom although they are creating an animated series - apparently thats ok).

Then he mentioned that some of his radio show was going to get a rerun on bbc7 so if you want to have a listen - theres a new extract every monday - just scroll down to the vinyl cafe and listen at your leisure..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/monday/

j9 said...

ah stuart mclean. me, I dongeddit but I'm glad for the bonanza of canadiana bubbling up for you this week.

ps: Don Cherry was wearing a white suit with huge RED CARNATIONS printed all over it the other night. cracked my shit up but good.

love you sugar, xx

Anonymous said...

How true... Stuart indeed brought me and my family into your life and I'm glad I'm slowly making my way back after a long absence. I'm looking forward to seeing you at the end of June!

lauren said...

RED CARNATIONS! wickid...

missing hockey so you all best be out there cheering the oilers on. even though from what i'm told they're a slow and boring team to watch. bah.

can't wait for stuart on wednesday.

only teared up three times at the martha wainwright gig last night. some sort of record.

xo