1.24.2008

the queen is dead

What was supposed to be a relatively happy, easy day isn't exactly going to plan. I decided to walk in today because it wasn't horrible out, just a light shower that looked like it was moving quickly away. It started raining a little as I was walking down Croxteth rd, but I had my trusty queen umbrella to keep me dry. As I rounded the corner at Princes Park it started hailing. And not just straight down little hail, but sideways straight across your face hail...so out came the queen again. We made it through the hail storm, which eventually subsided, and it was just the wind holding me back, ruining my hair and generally making me feel like I'd just gone for a dose of botox.

I got onto Catharine St and it started raining again. The wind was still pretty strong, but I knew the queen could take it. She did not. One of the spokes bent in half so down she came and I put my head down. It was at this point that I decided the only thing to save the day would be a coffee and a pit stop to see if I could bend her back into shape. As I turned down Bold st the wind and the rain started again, more powerful than before, so to save myself from the appearance of a drowned rat I gingerly put the queen up to protect me and was instantly greeted by about five of her precious arms being mutilated. Almost in tears by this point after coming to the conclusion in front of the Anglican cathedral that my queen umbrella was the only thing keeping my life together at this moment in time, the only thing that made the rain bearable, I walked into Coffee Union, threw my wet things down on a table and went to order my coffee.

The guy that looks like a mini version of Terran looked at me quite meekly and brought me my coffee. It's not a good morning. My brown boots are a mess and will now remain so for the rest of the day, I was an inch away from stepping in horse poop in front of Lime St. station and all I really want to do is go back home. I'm this close to giving up, but hopefully at some point today I'll see the humour in it all.

Oh, and did I mention that as soon as I walked out of the cafe the sky was blue?

So the queen is now sitting, quite blatantly dead, next to the rubbish bin in the kitchen at the Walker.

Hope your day has started better than mine...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh loo-loo. Perhaps to perk you up again, (and maybe not), Brian was looking at the pictures I have on the welsh dresser (on the weekend) and saw your grad picture there and said "see loo-loo gain soon", then quite bluntly said "but no voodoo". I had to laugh, Davoud, as it WAS quite funny. I told Brian that he had a good time over Christmas and that the next time we do see Auntie Loo-loo, Uncle Davoud will be with you and we can see both of you. He just looked at me and walked away. Then about a half hour later, while playing on the couch, turned to me and said "I hug voodoo."

Anonymous said...

Classic. I have tears of laughter in my eyes after reading the bit about Brian!