10.23.2006

a great life, but a great loss

sometimes it's the people we don't know very well who seem to say the most poignant things when no one really knows if any words can help. i know most of my faithful readers will already know that i'm canada bound tomorrow as my grandad goodwin passed away on the weekend. i'm one of the lucky few - who i could only really include my brother in - fortunate enough to have all of their grandparents half way through their twenties. and for that i give thanks and count my many, many blessings.

i went into work today to meet with my line manager to make sure things don't fall apart too much while i'm gone. on my way in i ran into pete who's the education officer at the walker and has been for about 15 years. he asked me how old grandad was and when i responded that he was 92 years old, he replied 'if only we could all live that long. but what a great life he must have led, and therefore, what a great loss.'

i think pete was bang on.

i can't wait to get home tomorrow and i'm dreading that flight, which will probably seem three times as long. i know i'll be frustrated because i'll want to do more and stay longer, but the longer i stay the harder it will become to come back.

No comments: